Mosquito control not only prevents itchy bites; it protects the health of you, your family, and guests, along with your pets. Fortunately, Bugly makes it easy to get rid of mosquitoes in your yard. Bugly will kill mosquitoes on contact and leaves a residue that will naturally repel mosquitoes and interfere with their ability to reproduce, giving you long-term protection to prevent mosquito bites.
Get Bugly and Get Rid of Mosquitoes
How Many Species of Mosquitoes Live in the United States
Mosquitoes are a common pest across the United States. The Environmental Protection Agency tracks 200 different species of mosquitoes in the United States. While each species has a specific region and habitat, they all go through the same life cycle stages. They all require blood and water to reproduce—which is important to understand how to get rid of mosquitoes.
Did you know?
Only female mosquitoes bite and suck blood?
What Are the Life Cycles of a Mosquito?
All species go through four distinct mosquito life cycle stages:
- Egg: Female mosquitoes require a blood meal for the protein and iron they need to produce eggs. The eggs hatch when submerged in water—a little rain is all it takes.
- Larva: This worm-like creature emerges from the egg and swims in the water, feeding on microbes and gaining size and strength. If the water dries up, the larva die.
- Pupa: This phase is like the chrysalis of a butterfly. The larva creates a shell for itself, stops feeding, and grows into an adult while still submerged in water. Pupa cannot survive without water.
- Adult: The adult emerges from the shell and the water and alights nearby to wait for its exoskeleton to harden. Then it is ready to fly.
The average mosquito life cycle from egg to adult is eight to ten days, but in certain conditions, four days are enough. Adults live about three weeks, with a female laying five clutches of eggs. Some species can hibernate up to six months. Effective mosquito control addresses ways to get rid of mosquitoes at each stage—and eliminates habitats that allow them to linger and reproduce.
When do mosquitoes bite most? Why do mosquitoes bite at night?
Mosquitoes find you through the scent of your lactic acid and perspiration, plus the carbon dioxide you exhale. At dusk and at dawn, wind speeds are lower, making it easier to hone in on you. Because mosquitoes are not strong fliers, a breeze can easily knock them off course. While mosquitoes like warmth, they are vulnerable to the heat of the sun. They hide in the shade, preferably where it is humid, until the best time to strike. If you are in your yard at sundown, you need mosquito control in your yard to prevent mosquito bites.
What Diseases do Mosquitoes Cause? What Are the Most Common Mosquito-Borne Illnesses?
Mosquito control should top your list of priorities. It is important to prevent mosquito bites on your kids and your pets. The American Mosquito Control Association lists ten of the most common mosquito-borne illnesses in the U.S., along with the menace of heartworm for dogs:
- Yellow Fever
- Eastern Equine Encephalitis
- St. Louis Encephalitis
- LaCrosse Encephalitis
- Western Equine Encephalitis
- West Nile Virus
- Zika Virus
- Dog Heartworm
Life-threatening mosquito-borne illnesses are on the rise in the U.S., according to the Center for Disease Control. That is why getting rid of mosquitoes is so vital.
Prevent Mosquito Bites with Bugly Mosquito Control
Using Bugly Outdoor Formula for Mosquito Control around Your Home
Mosquito control should top your list of priorities. It is important to prevent mosquito bites on your kids, family and friends, and your pets. Bugly uses natural ingredients that kill mosquitos and leave a residue that discourages mosquitoes from setting up shop in your yard. In addition to killing mosquitoes on contact, it sticks to surfaces. They pick it up on their bodies and ingest it during grooming, which is fatal to them. Used in standing water, it kills larva and pupa breaking the mosquito life cycle.
Spray Bugly Outdoor Formula around your property monthly to keep the mosquito population down. Spray again a day before any outdoor event in your yard to kill mosquitoes who may struggle in from your neighbor’s.
Places to spray include:
- In and around bushes and plants that provide shade mosquitoes crave
- In sheds and under yard equipment that also provide shade
- Your garage can be a safe haven for mosquitoes when the weather gets cooler, so spray there, too
- In areas of your yard that tend to get damp after a rain
- In planters, around gutters and downspouts, and other damp areas
When you use Bugly for mosquito control you don’t have to worry about the safety of people and pets. Bugly Outdoor Treatment is formulated with natural ingredients that are naturally fatal to mosquitoes.
Safety also means protecting the environment. Our formula is lethal for mosquitos, but will not harm honey bees. Every bit of our packaging and equipment is carefully engineered for zero waste. All of it can be recycled, so nothing has to go to a landfill.
Get Bugly and Get Rid of Mosquitoes